Monday, May 3, 2010

Talking shit about a pretty sunset.


ozcat
Originally uploaded by legally_beaumont
Back in March I was interviewed by Ozcat Radio from Vallejo. I got to go on air and answer some questions about The Spinning Compass and Wandering Rose stuff.

It was fun and getting these questions directed towards me for the first time really forced me to think about what the zine is and what our goals have been and should be.

The zine is topic that has been coming up lately in our Wandering Rose meetings and again I am a little bit flustered thinking about what the future may hold for it.

Sierra and I have really made this our baby and we have built it into something we like. While I am excited of the possibility to work more steadily with other, new, people I am also a little bit wary of what that really might mean.

I want us to push towards something that really represents our ideals and aesthetic while also supporting the local scene. I want people to associate the Spinning Compass with something slightly different than what I think they associate to Wandering Rose.

I like the idea that more contributors can lead to a more genuine sense of safety when it comes to being blunt and honest about what we see. Today, if we were to publish a story about how shitty a local band is, we wouldn't be able to live it down, people would single us out and want to start shit. This town is small, and the staff of our zine is even smaller. I think a lot of us are afraid to speak critically of our peers and those in the music and art scene because of it.

Here's the interview:

No comments:

Post a Comment